Monday, July 4, 2011

Pirate party aarrggh

Finn decided for his fifth birthday that he really wanted to have a party, after discussing different themes he decided he wanted a Pirate party!  I have seen so many beautiful party ideas and themes on the web that I straight away started searching for ideas. 

I decided I was going to try to design my own Pirate themed printables, but after several hours playing with photoshop and struggling to come up with a design that I loved, I went to Etsy.  It took no time before I found exactly what I had been trying to create.  We ordered and in no time we had the files with the printables we needed to create the perfect party for our 5 year old pirate!

Most of the printables had editable font, so we could change signs to suit us and our party.  For the bottles we bought printable sticker paper and turned bottles of Root Beer into bottles o rum!


We used the 'Sea Water' printable in the set for our water bottles using the same sticker paper we used for the Root Beer bottles.



Chocolate cupcakes with blue buttercream frosting made up the 'ocean' around the main cake.




The 'main' part of the cake was a strawberry cake, a 1/4 sheet that I ordered undecorated from Market Street grocery store.  Finn loves strawberry cake but I was concerned that it wouldn't come out right so I decided to just take care of the decorating. 



We bought some retro straws on Amazon



These were for the poison beverages.  I couldn't find vinyl/waterproof sticker paper locally so we used packing tape to go over the top of the labels so they wouldn't run/fall off in the ice.  This worked pretty well, the vinyl stickers would have been ideal but it still worked!




We had some yummy food to nibble on too!

 



We had a table set up with the goody bags and small prize bags.  For the treat bags I purchased pirate themed bags from Hobby Lobby and topped them with bag toppers from the printable set.





We bought some balloons in Red, Black and White to go with the colour scheme and I made more of these streamers in matching colours and hung them around the dining and living room.



We had some traditional games at Finn's request, pin the eyepatch on the pirate was played first.  Then we played balloon booty (popping balloons with their 'pirate booty' to win prizes), a treasure hunt and of course a pinata!  It was a fun party and Finn had a great time.  I had a great time planning it and am already planning the next one ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment